Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Playhouse, Part Three

Today I made some serious progress on my playhouse!  I've got 90% of my appliques cut.  I'm hoping that by tomorrow, I'll have everything laid out and can begin actually sewing by the end of the week.  Yay!


My fruit is cut--with little leaves and stem and everything!  I'm trying to decide on whether I want them sewn on, or if I want to have them velcro-ed that way baby girl can take them on and off.  I think that would be fun because then she could put them in the little basket.  My only worry is that they might get lost in her crazy toddler room among all the other crazy toddler crap she has.  What do you think?


I'm also thinking about putting in some wood texture to my tree trunk.  You know, just sewing some squiggly lines down the trunk to add a little depth--not that a two-year-old is going to notice (but I will!).

I also got a second panel laid out.  After I've sewn everything down, I'm going to use my applique scissors to cut out the windows.  To create the bushes on this second panel, I used the same method as with the tree; I took a medium size mixing bowl and used it as a stencil to create the size and shape that I wanted.

It definitely took a lot more trial and error this time around. Once I decided which of those messy stencil marks made the right shape, I cut them out knowing that they would be on the back.  If you're doing this for your own little one, remember to measure it on the opposite side of the panel that you want it to be, because once you flip it over to lay the marked up side facing down, it's going to be a mirror image of what was stenciled.

While these are absolutely not my own images (I found them using Google Images), here are the images I used to trace out some of my appliques.  Everything else was free hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment